How to: Machine Fly
Doing a machine fly is an alternative to the dumbbell fly but can be just as effective when done properly. This exercise is easier to perform than the dumbbell fly and has the added bonus of also working the anterior deltoid. Weight can quickly be added to this exercise making it great for pyramid sets or alternatively to warm up.
Main: Sternal (Lower) Pectoralis Major
Synergists: Clavicular (Upper) Pectoralis Major, Biceps Brachii (Short Head), Pectoralis Minor, Serratus Anterior
- Choose a weight based on your goals an ability. Those going for strength should choose a heavier weight than those going for endurance.
- Next, take a seat on the machine and grab the grips on the machine keeping your arms parallel and back straight.
- Slightly bend the elbow and push the bars forward while exhaling through the nose until you reach the point just before your hand’s touch and pause.
- After pausing for a second return to the starter position while inhaling through your mouth.
- Repeat this movement multiple more times depending on your goals for strength or endurance.
Looking for more exercises for the gym? Check out our workouts page.
VIDEO: How to do the Machine fly