How to: Lying cable fly
The lying cable fly is an exercise you tend to see less in the gym as it generally takes up a lot of space. The movement mimics that of dumbbell flys but allows greater control of the weight. The exercise is great for hitting the entirety of the chest in a safe and controlled manner.
Main: Sternal (Lower) Pectoralis Major
Synergists: Clavicular (Upper) Pectoralis Major, Anterior Deltoid, Biceps Brachii (short head only)
- Position a flat bench in between two low cable pulleys and attach the handle attachment to each side.
- Set the weight on either side to an equal amount and pick up both handles and sitting down on the bench.
- Lay flat on the bench and create a slight bend in each elbow while keeping your hands a couple of inches apart.
- Lower arms back while keeping arms bent and pressure on the muscle throughout the motion.
- Return to starting position and squeeze the chest.
- Repeat this motion in a rep range of 8-12 sets.
Looking for more exercises for the gym? Check out our workouts page.
VIDEO: How to Lying cable fly